If you wake up with a stiff or painful neck every morning, you are not alone. Many individuals suffer from neck pain that is either chronic or occasional.
There could be many reasons you may have neck pain, but one of the two main reasons is improper sleeping positions or an inadequate pillow.
Therefore investing in the best pillows for neck pain may be just the route that you need to go.
So if you want to find out more about pillows that can help reduce and prevent neck pain, please read further.
How Your Pillow Affects Your Neck
Each one of us has a preferred position and way of sleeping. Although there are only three sleeping positions, back, side, and stomach, we have our own unique quirks and habits when sleeping.
Some of these sleeping positions and methods may, in fact, be the cause or aggravation of your neck pain because of improper spinal support and neck support.
Stomach sleeping is one of the worst sleeping positions, which causes pressure all over your body and is very dire to your neck muscles and spinal alignment.
Then, a second factor is your sleeping aids, especially your pillow. A pillow that does not properly support your head and neck will create tension in the neck muscles and improper spinal alignment, which will lead to neck pain and back and body pain.
As we can deduct from this, the right sleeping position, along with the best pillows for neck pain, may be exactly what your need for your neck pain.
With this said, we will carry on looking at the right pillow ty[pes to support your neck for your specific sleeping position.
Choosing the Right Pillow for Neck Pain
To make it easier, I have placed the best pillows for neck pain in categories of sleeping positions;
- Back Sleeping – For sleeping on your back, a round pillow to support your neck along with a pillow cushioning your head is an excellent option. Or you can opt for a special design pillow with built-in neck support and an indentation for your head to rest in. A concave design or cervical pillow will be ideal for back sleeping. Also, choose to fill materials that easily comfort your head and neck when looking at pillows, such as memory foam or feather pillows.
- Side Sleeping – To keep your spine straight when sleeping on your side, you need a pillow that is higher underneath your neck than your head. This is where the contour or concave design pillow is ideal. Memory Foam, latex, and feather Pillows are also ideal for side sleeping but need a higher loft ad to offer firmer support.
- Stomach Sleeping – Sleeping on your stomach is the worse position for neck pain and not at all recommended. Sleeping on your stomach causes your neck to be turned back to the arch, which is not ideal for neck pain or even back and shoulder support.
Features of a Good Pillow for Neck Pain
- Fill – Look for a memory foam, latex or feather fill for a good pillow for neck pain. The fill should be medium to firm with a higher loft for side sleeping. Solid or shredded memory foam and latex are both suitable. The cooling gel in most memory foam pillow model offers cooling options to memory foam that tends to overheat.
- Cover – A durable, removable and washable cover is ideal with a secure zipper closure. Polyester, bamboo, and voice are all ideal materials for the cover.
- Design – A contoured and concave design is ideal for side sleeping. A Neck Bolster with a pillow with an indentation separately or in one design is ideal for back sleeping.
Reviews:Best Pillows for Neck Pain
Here we have some of our top choices in Pillows that are all ideal for neck pain;
The water Base Pillow offers optimal support for your head and neck.
- The unique water base at the bottom of the pillow adjusts according to your movement while you sleep, thus providing customizable support.
- The thermal insulator happens to encase the water layer entirely, preventing heat from being drawn from the shoulder, head, and neck.
- A top layer of (5 inches) is made with hypoallergenic DuPont fiber and feels super soft.
- The pillows are clinically tested at the reputed Johns Hopkins University.
- The manufacturer is known for providing good quality material for more than 20 years.
- Mediflow offers a 30-Day satisfaction guarantee and also a 1-year warranty (for defects).
From Coop Home Goods, the Memory Foam Pillow with bamboo cover is ideal for optimal neck and back support for all sleeping positions.
- The manufacturer provided an adjustable (add or remove) shredded memory foam, which will customize itself according to your sleeping position.
- The Pillow offers advantages like dust mite resistance and is hypoallergenic.
- There is a 40% bamboo-derived viscose rayon and 60% polyester cover, which helps regulate the temperature, and thus the pillow will stay cool.
- The Cover is machine washable, making it very easy to maintain.
- The Memory Foam Fill a CertiPUR-US certification.
The Bamboo Cover Pillow from Xtreme Comforts comes with Kool-Flow Technology and supportive design and fill for neck pain.
- The Fill consists of CertiPuer-Certified premium quality shredded memory foam.
- The extra breathable cover is made with micro-vented bamboo (43%), which will check that the pillow stays cool all night.
- You can fully adjust the pillow loft with the removable and washable cover.
- The materials and all are hypoallergenic and ideal for all sleeping positions to keep you cool and comfortable.
From Smart Rest, we have a spinal support pillow for neck pain that also reduces snoring.
- The Pillow has a dual lobe design that makes this pillow suitable for all sleep preferences and head size.
- The distinctive convex shape right in the middle allows this pillow to be used as a body pillow, maternity pillow, wedge, and seat cushion.
- For the fill, a 100% premium German quality memory foam keeps its shape and does not go flat even after regular use.
- The allergen and dust mite resistant velvet cover is very soft and is washable.
- The manufacturer added a unique granulated surface that aids in massaging the head, promoting extra airflow.
The MyPillow Inc. premium bed pillow comes in different loft levels for different sleeping positions.
- There are three different size options from which you can choose.
- The fill consists of interlocking fibers that offer excellent support and a comfortable firm loft.
- You can wash the entire pillow in your washing machine and do not need to remove the cover.
- This is known as one of the most comfortable pillows by many happy users, and it is also ideal for neck pain.
- This is a Tri-Core pillow designed by Core Products to provide relief from neck pain.
- It combines the unique shape of a Tri-core fiber pillow with the support and longevity of the Therapeutica pillow.
- The pillow comes with four distinct levels of support to cater to all types of sleepers.
- Back sleepers get a firm cervical support, the amount of which can be increased and decreased by switching the sides.
- For side sleepers, the two height options provide excellent support and comfort.
- This pillow comes in a soft pillowcase made with a blend of 65% Polyester and 35% tencel.
- The contour pillow helps to align the spine and relieve pain in the head, neck, and shoulders.
- It uses CertiPUR-US Certified memory foam at its core to adjust to the pressure of the head and neck and allows the muscles to relax.
- It is designed in a standard size and calibrated to provide the right balance between support and comfort.
- This neck support pillow is made with 100% Polyurethane, often called memory foam.
- The pillowcover is made with a premium blend of 40% Staple Rayon and 60% Polyester fiber.
- Its cervical contour design allows the neck and shoulder muscles to relax completely, providing pain relief.
- The memory foam is also infused with a temperature sensing function, whereas the butterfly shape perfectly hugs the neck and shoulder contour.
- This is a beegod sleeping pillow designed to provide pain relief caused by neck stress, and migraines.
- It is super soft, fade resistant, stain resistant, and durable.
- The pillow measures 16 x 24 inches in size and is 4-6 inches high.
- It is easy to clean in a machine and allows for easy maintenance.
- This is a high-quality ergonomically designed sleeping pillow by HOKEKI.
- It is made with premium quality Memory foam in a concave design to support the head and neck while lying in a flat position.
- The height of the sides provides contoured support to the neck and shoulder areas and allows the muscles to relax completely.
- It comes with a zipper-equipped cover that is machine washable for convenience.
Index Table: Top Rated Pillows for Neck Pain
|1||Mediflow Waterbase Pillow - Neck Support Pillow||Mediflow||96|
|2||Coop Home Goods Memory Foam Pillow - With Bamboo Cover||Coop Home Goods||96|
|3||Xtreme Comforts Vented Bamboo Pillow - Hypoallergenic and Dust Mite Resistant||Xtreme Comforts||93|
|4||Smarter Rest German Memory Foam Pillow - Granulated Surface Technology||Smarter Rest||90|
|5||MyPillow Inc. Premium Series Bed Pillow - Standard/Queen Size||MyPillow Inc.||92|
|6||Core Products Tri-Core - Cervical Pillow for Neck Pain||Core Products||98.6|
|7||Milemont Cervical - Memory Foam Pillow||Milemont||98.1|
|8||Misiki Orthopedic - Contour Neck Pain Pillow||Misiki||97.5|
|9||beegod Super Soft - Neck Pillow for Sleeping||beegod||96.9|
|10||HOKEKI Ergonomic - Cervical Sleeping Pillow||HOKEKI||96.3|
Table of Contents
- How Your Pillow Affects Your Neck
- Choosing the Right Pillow for Neck Pain
- Features of a Good Pillow for Neck Pain
- Reviews:Best Pillows for Neck Pain
- Mediflow® Waterbase Pillow Neck Support Pillow
- Coop Home Goods® Memory Foam Pillow With Bamboo Cover
- Xtreme Comforts® Vented Bamboo Pillow Hypoallergenic and Dust Mite Resistant
- Smarter Rest® German Memory Foam Pillow Granulated Surface Technology
- MyPillow Inc.® Premium Series Bed Pillow Standard/Queen Size
- Core Products® Tri-Core Cervical Pillow for Neck Pain
- Milemont® Cervical Memory Foam Pillow
- Misiki® Orthopedic Contour Neck Pain Pillow
- beegod® Super Soft Neck Pillow for Sleeping
- HOKEKI® Ergonomic Cervical Sleeping Pillow
- Index Table: Top Rated Pillows for Neck Pain