As we age after adulthood, our bodies deteriorate, becoming weaker with time and use. Because of this, we need more support for all activities, even sleeping or resting in bed.
Most older people often need supportive pillows for different parts of the body or to cater to the side effects of any diseases they might have.
For this reason, we have compiled a list of the best pillows for the elderly and reviewed them for you down below.
Benefits of Positioning Pillows for Elderly
- Improves Posture – As we get older, the bones and joints start to weaken, and the muscles lose their strength. It cannot be easy to find a comfortable position in this case. A positioning pillow can provide comfort to the body while ensuring that it is correct with spinal alignment. A positioning pillow can also be a great aid while sitting.
- Provides Support – Depending on its type, a positioning pillow can provide support to the back, neck, head, arms, knees, and legs. The elderly might need support while lying down, sitting, or reclining.
- Provides Pain Relief – When the body gets the support it needs and is at rest in a comfortable position, it brings about a sense of pain relief.
- Provides Pressure Relief – A positioning pillow is designed to take away undue pressure on the body’s parts. For example, if you are sleeping on your side, it can cause a strain on the lower back and spine. A positioning pillow between the knees can take away this pressure.
What to Look for When Buying a Positioning Pillow for Elderly
- Support – The first and foremost requirement of a pillow for the elderly is supported, as that is what they most need. Whether it’s a pillow for their neck, their backs, their hips, knees, or their feet, it needs to be able to provide the support they need for pain relief and relaxation.
- Perfect Balance of Firm and Soft – As we get older, we become more sensitive to even a little discomfort. Therefore, any pillow for the elderly should be soft enough for comfort while also being firm enough to provide the required support.
- Designed for Special Needs – Choose a pillow that is designed especially for their special health conditions. If they are facing difficulty sleeping at night because of a lack of support for their back, choose a wedge pillow to provide that support, and so on.
Reviews: Best Positioning Pillows for Elderly
- This is a slow rebound memory foam pillow designed to provide support to the neck and head areas.
- The contoured design of this cervical neck pillow helps maintain the neck’s natural curve.
- It is made with CertiPUR US Certified memory foam with a slow rebound for convenience.
- The pillow’s center cavity helps cradle the head for optimal support to minimize neck pain and shoulder stiffness.
- The pillow offers two neck support levels, providing a custom fit ideal for back and stomach sleepers.
- When sleeping on the back, the contour supports the neck and head support’s natural traction to reduce the pressure on the posterior skull, reduce snoring, and improve sleep quality.
- Sleeping on the side using the lower level of the pillow releases shoulder pressure and allows you to be breathable freely.
- The pillow comes with a soft cover that is cooling, breathable, and machine washable.
- Contoured Neck Support.
- Shoulder and Neck Pain Relief.
- Cooling Cover.
- Takes a few days to adapt to the pillow.
- This is an orthopedic seat cushion pillow by AceRate, designed for extra sitting support for the elderly.
- The pillow allows relief from pain caused by tailbone, coccyx, or back injury and allows you to sit comfortably.
- The memory foam gel cushion helps bring relief to sitting pain caused by Sciatica, Herniated discs, hip and back pain, and spinal issues by reducing pressure.
- It is a portable cushion and can be used at home, in the office, or even while traveling.
- The pillow is designed to maintain its shape and not flatten overtime or overuse.
- It comes wrapped in a velour cover with a non-slip base to prevent slipping or shifting around.
- The cooling gel soothes the bottom, and the high-density memory foam provides long-lasting comfort.
- The protective inner layer makes it durable, and the zipper cover allows for easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Extra Large and Firm.
- Cooling Gel.
- Ideal for Heavy People.
- Maybe too thick for some people.
- This is a back support pillow designed for adults and older people that allows you to sit up comfortably in bed.
- The extra-large size makes it ideal for adults and supports the neck and back while watching TV, relaxing, or reading.
- The adjustable neck support pillow provides the perfect balance between comfort and support, is detachable, and can be used as a leg cushion.
- It is filled with CertiPUR US Certified shredded memory foam blend that can be molded for personalized and lasting comfort.
- The pillow comes with a soft and durable cover made with Velour fabric and is only suitable for spot cleaning.
- Variety of Size Choices.
- Additional Neck Support.
- Moldable Shredded Foam.
- Can get wrinkled.
- This is a wedge bed pillow designed to provide support and comfort to the elderly.
- The elevating pillow comes with an R shape design to provide leg and back support with its gradual slope.
- It also improves blood flow, respiratory problems, reduces pressure on the spinal cord, and provides relief from back pain.
- This triangular therapeutic pillow can be used as home care assistance and can turn patients over, change their posture, and assist in passive leg lifting.
- It is also conducive to supporting a pregnant women’s belly to allow proper comfort.
- The pillow’s right angle allows the neck to relax, reduces acid reflux, and eases breathing difficulties caused by supine positioning.
- It offers enough load-bearing pressure to ensure it doesn’t deform or separate with prolonged use.
- The pillow cover is made with high-quality pure cotton that is easy to remove and machine washable.
- This is a heel cushion support pillow designed to protect the heels by relieving excess heel pressure from ulcers and pressure sores.
- It also helps with recovery from heel injuries or pain.
- The convenient heel protectors are adjustable and easy to slip on and off with the Velcro straps, hook, and loops.
- The heel cushion protectors come in one size that fits all and can be adjusted accordingly.
- It is filled with soft polyester and fiberfill extended over the ankle for added support.
- It measures 9 x 9 inches in size and can be adjusted to your size.
- This is an ergonomically designed knee pillow that perfectly fits the knees and provides maximum support and comfort.
- It helps relieve sciatica pain and lower backpressure, Arthritis, herniated discs, and more.
- The pillow is designed to be anatomically accurate for exceptional comfort and reduce back pain for side sleepers.
- It is made with durable, medical-grade foam to provide long-lasting comfort and maintain its shape.
- The pillow’s unique Knee-T design provides even support and holds the legs in a neutral position to keep them aligned with the spine and improve blood circulation.
- It comes with a CertiPUR US certified, medical-quality, Polyurethane foam, whereas the cover is removable, washable, hypoallergenic, and zippered Cotton and Bamboo blend cover.
- This is an Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion designed by CYLEN.
- It provides optimum ventilation ability and reduces temperature from rising.
- The pillow comes with a unique Bamboo Charcoal Infusion that is soothing and relaxing.
- It comes with a non-slip bottom with a seat cushion design that provides pressure relief from the tailbone and lower back pain.
- This is a folding Bed Wedge Pillow designed by Drive Medical.
- The bed wedge is designed to help elevate and support the neck for spinal alignment.
- It is designed to help relieve discomfort associated with respiratory problems, poor circulations, and back or neck pain.
- The pillow can be folded for convenient storage and includes a carry handle for portability.
- This is a Positioning and Turning Wedge Pillow designed by Bedsore Rescue.
- The pillow is designed to maintain trunk stabilization and prevent pressure injuries while moving.
- It features foam layers for high-efficiency pressure distribution by providing low skin interface pressure.
- The high-density foam is designed to deter the formation of pressure ulcers for greater comfort and support.
- This is a Single Bed Wedge Pillow designed by Skil-Care.
- The pillow is designed to effortlessly relieve painful pressure and prevent bed and pressure sores while bedbound.
- Its 30 degree, high-density foam wedge provides the optimal angle for comfort and pain relief.
- The pillow comes with a water-resistant outer cover that can be easily wiped and disinfected between use.
Index Table: Top-Rated Positioning Pillows for Seniors
|1||Mkicesky Contoured - Cervical Pillow for Elderly||Mkicesky||98.8|
|2||AceRate Orthopedic - Seat Cushion||AceRate||98.2|
|3||Linenspa Adult - Back Support Pillow||Linenspa||97.6|
|4||NEPPT Elevation - Wedge Pillow||NEPPT||97.1|
|5||DMI Elderly - Heel Cushion Protector||DMI||96.5|
|6||Back Support Systems Knee-T - Leg Pillow for Elderly||Back Support Systems||94.9|
|7||CYLEN Orthopedic - Memory Foam Seat Cushion||CYLEN||94.5|
|8||Drive Medical Folding - Bed Wedge Pillow||Drive Medical||94.1|
|9||Bedsore Rescue Positioning - Turning Wedge Pillow||Bedsore Rescue||93.7|
|10||Skil-Care Single - Bed Wedge Pillow||Skil-Care||93.4|
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Positioning Pillows for Elderly
- What to Look for When Buying a Positioning Pillow for Elderly
- Reviews: Best Positioning Pillows for Elderly
- Mkicesky® Contoured Cervical Pillow for Elderly
- AceRate® Orthopedic Seat Cushion
- Linenspa® Adult Back Support Pillow
- NEPPT® Elevation Wedge Pillow
- DMI® Elderly Heel Cushion Protector
- Back Support Systems® Knee-T Leg Pillow for Elderly
- CYLEN® Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- Drive Medical® Folding Bed Wedge Pillow
- Bedsore Rescue® Positioning Turning Wedge Pillow
- Skil-Care® Single Bed Wedge Pillow
- Index Table: Top-Rated Positioning Pillows for Seniors